Are you ready to make your first tandem skydive? Here are some basic tips to keep in mind while preparing for your first skydiving experience.
- You must be at least 18 years of age and have a photo ID to prove it.
- Weight limits vary depending on the weight limits of the skydiving equipment used. The average is around 230 pounds.
- Wear loose fitting clothing. Make sure you are comfortable and have sturdy, fully-attached shoes, like sneakers or boots with no hooks. No sandals or high heels ever!
- It’s extremely important that you call ahead to make a reservation. Even at walk-in friendly drop-zones, you run the risk of not being able to jump if you do not book a reservation ahead of time.
- Most places will require a deposit to hold a reservation .
- Be prepared to hang around the drop-zone for at least a few hours, even a whole day. The weather and staffing situation is variable from site to site. You can bring snacks and a non-alcoholic drink to have while you are waiting.
- Empty your pockets. You don’t want to lose your car keys a few miles above the earth. You can lock up your valuables in your car, or leave them with a friend on the ground.
- Make sure that the goggles at the jump site will protect your glasses or contacts prior to flight.
- Do you suffer from motion sickness? Consider taking a non-drowsy Dramamine prior to your jump.
Like any sport, there are risks and liabilities in skydiving. You will be given a waiver to sign and some brief training. Read through your waiver as you would any other legal document and pay attention to your instructors during the training.
No one can make you jump out of the plane. Every jump site has its own policy on cancellations, but odds are if you are in the airplane and decide not to jump, enjoy the airplane ride because you will not receive a refund.
Your biggest asset in tandem skydiving is your attitude. This is going to be a fun, exciting experience. Once you jump on your first tandem skydive, you will most likely want to do it again and again. It is said that being in the sky is the ultimate freedom and the greatest short vacation you will ever take.